Thursday, April 7, 2011

How to Become a Missionary... The Yes Doctrine

Step 1.  Say YES.


I am a missionary.  Let me rewind.


I began this quest when I was 12 years old.  I knew after hearing all the elaborate stories about snakes in the amazon and safaris in Kenya that being a missionary would be AMAZING.  I knew that I'd get to travel to far and distant places and meet people that would have elaborate stories about how they would have clothes dropped to them like in the movie "Operation Dumbo Drop."  I knew that telling them about Jesus would be easy because they ''needed'' him more than I did.


I had to play my cards right.
Finish High School
Learn how to Lead Worship
Go to a Christian University
Question if missionaries actually help
......What?


Ok. I know missionaries help - but was I had many questions:
Was I wanting to be a missionary out of selfish ambition?
Can I really make a difference?
Can I chose to commit my life to learning a new language and culture to only be rejected?
Am I just being lazy?


Step 2.  Say Yes!


Jesus called us to be disciples and make disciples.


I found out while leading short term mission trips in Mexico that when the different groups came down to ''help,'' they often hindered any sort of ministry from happening.  These 'missionaries' were often bitter.  They were not open to becoming disciples and definitely against discipling.  They chose to take a trip with a 'no' mentality.  You could also see the lives changing when those who came decided (before coming) to say Yes to whatever came up.  In fact, one group decided it would be best if they couldn't come because they felt called to focus on their local community.  They were obedient. They forfeited their money for the trip and stayed home.  They said Yes.  They were missionaries.


Missions start with a decision to constantly be learning and the decision to love one another.
John 13:34-35: "I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."


My pastor in Mexico told me:


Missions is not about
            where you go....
                          what you do......
                                    how much you spent.......
                                               what language you learn.......
It is about saying      YES   to God.


Yes I will follow you.  Yes I will praise you.  Yes I will speak up for you. Yes I will love everyone.  Yes I will be your missionary.  YES YES YES.


Step 3.  Say Yes......Jesus said Yes


Jesus did not think geographically.  I don't think they had a missions board in the temple wondering if they needed to extend the budget so Jesus could travel to Jerusalem or Samaria  (by the way they definitely were against the 'ends of the earth' campaign).


Jesus continued to say Yes until he sacrificed his life for the sin of mankind (which by the way includes those who would say yes but also those who would say no).


We get so weary hearing about missions.  We feel as if it is some distant thought or lifestyle that we will never be a part of (unless you check the 'donate to missions' box on the tithe envelope).  We are all called to missions. We are all Called to be Disciples!


We are all Called to Say Yes.




-David Carnes
Director of Store Operations
NewSpring Thrift Stores
dacarnes@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment